Stephen S. Stanton was born in 1915 at Ann Arbor, Michigan. Graduating from Harvard in 1938, he taught English at St. Paul's School in Concord, New Hampshire, and acquired a master's degree from the University of Michigan before he joined the Naval Reserve in 1942. After the war Mr. Stanton was an instructor in English at Williams College, the University of Michigan, and Barnard College. In 1955 he received his doctorate in English and comparative literature from Colombia University. He was professor of English in the College of Engineering, University of Michigan, until his retirement in 1982. Currently he is professor emeritus at the university.