Excerpted memoirs included are:
- Incidents and Anecdotes of the Cival War by Admiral Porter, including sections dealing with the political schism of the navy at the war's outbreak, as well as accounts of various naval campaigns around the gulf.
- Recollections of a Rebel Reefer by James Morris Morgan , the memoir of a midshipman's coming of age in the Confederate navy including his part in the retreat further south of CSA President Jefferson Davis and his family.
- Autobiography of George Dewey, Admiral of the Navy by Admiral George Dewey who, while a wet-behind-the-ears lieutenant, served under the legendary naval master and Lincoln's Admiral David Farragut.
- Two years on the Alabama by Arthur Sinclair
- CSS Shenandoah: The Memoirs of LT. Commanding James I. Waddell