From America's #1 family magazine, an indispensable guide to your one-year-old's emotional and cognitive milestones.
Every day is an exciting adventure when you're raising a toddler. In As They Grow: Your One-Year-Old, the expert editors of Parents magazine tell you how your child is thinking and feeling throughout the extraordinary second year-and how you can create a safe, nurturing environment where your child can grow.
Each chapter focuses on a unique developmental milestone-from speech development and mobility to forming a personality, feeling fear, and building relationships with family, friends, and caregivers. In addition to telling you what to expect in terms of your child's evolving behavior, As They Grow explains what your child is going through from his perspective-his fears, frustrations, and child's-eye view of the world. Armed with this understanding, you'll learn the most effective, positive ways of encouraging your child as he moves from baby steps to all-out running and from syllables to sentences. This essential resource also offers sound advice on dealing with your child's awareness of genitalia, frequent nightmares, tantrums, and other challenges.
Each chapter highlights four main areas:
- Developmental Milestone (what you can expect)
- Conflict (changes in behavior that result from this milestone)
- You and Your Child (how this stage of development affects you as a parent)
- Helping Your Child Grow (strategies, games, and activities that enhance development)
Informative, recurring features include:
- How It Feels to Be Me (common scenarios explained from a child's perspective)
- Do Say/Don't Say (scripts of appropriate and inappropriate responses to various situations)
- Safety First (childproofing and parent alerts)
- Is There a Problem? (signs of possible developmental delays)