An accessible, fully illustrated companion to women's wellness and well-being at every stage of life-- from the leading organization of women health providers, the American Women's Health Association.
Unlike other books, which focus on illness, disease therapies, and medical treatments, this book emphasizes ways to help women of all ages stay healthy using prevention, screening, and early detection. It also presents a complete picture of women's health, including advice on:
* Eating for wellness
* Mental health issues
* Communicating well with your doctor
* Healthy sexuality and family planning
* Overcoming substance abuse
Did you know that...
* Heart disease is the number-one killer of women? Learn how you can lower your risk.
* You may be at risk for depression-- because you are a woman? Find out what genetic or lifestyle factors can trigger this disease, and ways to cope.
* A woman's chances of surviving breast cancer are very high-- up to 97 percent-- when it is caught before it has spread to other parts of the body? Learn self-examinations and the latest recommendations for gynecological exams and mammograms.
* More than 10,000 women-- from every walk of life-- are diagnosed annually with HIV? Make sure you know how to eliminate your risk of AIDS and HIV, and find out if you fall into one of the eight categories of women who should get an HIV test.
* Smoking just one to four cigarettes a day doubles your risk of heart attack? Discover the latest approaches to stopping smoking.
Fully illustrated and featuring many charts and helpful "wellness tips" and "wellness warnings," The Women's Complete Wellness Book is much more than a reference book-- it is a guide for healthy living through all the stages of a woman's life. Learn from AMWA's years of experience and position on the cutting edge of the newest medical research.