Why does it take a parent to raise a child? Because it takes someone who loves a child enough to be in charge.
With years of experience as a parent and a pediatrician, Dr. Griffin gives parents a game plan of nine insightful keys to help make home a place where kids can learn responsibility and values:
* Take charge as a friend-not the enemy
* Make home a happy place to be
* Give your children something priceless-your time
* Don't say much until you listen
* Teach them the "rules of life"
* Get help from your spouse or a friend
* Take time to regroup-away from the kids
* Say more when children behave well than when they don't
* When children make mistakes, give miniscoldings, minipenalties, and more
It Takes a Parent to Raise a Child is full of practical wisdom, anecdotes, and humor, emphasizing common sense and gentle solutions in the tone of a trusted friend. Being a parent means being there without hurrying. It means giving respect before you expect to receive it. It means listening. It means knowing when to be quiet. It means building confidence and trust-gently. Being a parent takes lots of work. But most of all...it takes love.