This guide from the editors of Prevention Health Books offers the information and advice you need to take control of your blood pressure now. High blood pressure is a silent, symptom-less condition that affects some fifty million Americans. Left untreated, it can set the stage for serious complications-including heart disease, stroke, and kidney damage. But you don't need to let it get that far. With a few simple lifestyle changes and a combination of mainstream and alternative remedies, you can lower your blood pressure to a healthy level-and keep it there.
Inside you'll discover:
· What high blood pressure is, and how it happens
· Who is most likely to develop high blood pressure, and why
· What complications high blood pressure can cause-and why people with diabetes are at special risk
· What isolated systolic hypertension is and why it matters
· What you should look for when buying a home blood pressure monitor
· What you should know about the most common blood-pressure-reducing medications-from aspirin to prescription drugs
· How foods, herbs, and supplements can help lower blood pressure-sometimes eliminating the need for drugs!