"Atkins's strength is in suggesting ways to rewire your relationship . . . If your parents drive you up the wall, there's plenty here to help you. And the cost of the book is definitely cheaper than therapy." —The Boston Globe
In a recent study, half of all Americans rated their relationship with at least one parent as either "poor" or "terrible," and more than a third felt this way about both parents. As life expectancy continues to rise and the parent-child relationship extends further and further into adulthood, this problem has reached epidemic proportion.
I'm Ok, You're My Parents offers practical, specific advice on how to
- exorcise the demons of anger and resentment
- untangle financial arrangements that cause stress and feelings of powerlessness
- set limits on parental demands for time and attention
- turn a spouse or friends into a powerful resource
- overcome your own resistance to change
- discover the redemptive power of humor
This will prove invaluable to anyone eager to get off the "treadmill," gain control, and build a life that they and their parents can live with—forever.