"Safe Medicine for Sober People provides invaluable support when, inevitably, medical illness occurs. The danger that all recovering addicts face in such situations is that some treatments may unwittingly foster relapse. This unique book guides the reader through the potential perils of a wide range of medical treatments by carefully explaining which are safe and which may not be. It is full of good information, good advice, and just plain good sense. It could only have been written by a wise physician with great experience in the field of addiction."
- Sigurd Ackerman, M.D., president and medical director of Silver Hill Hospital (New Canaan, Conn.) and professor of clinical psychiatry at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons (New York)
"Safe Medicine for Sober People is the guide to medications for all recovering people and their families. If addiction touches your life, read this book thoroughly."
- Joel A. Nathan, M.D., certified addiction medicine physician at NABU Medical Services (New York)
"I have read with great interest Safe Medicine for Sober People, by Dr. Weisberg and Mr. Hawes. This volume, which addresses the interaction between addictive illness and medical treatment, fills a vacuum in available and accessible knowledge for professionals, patients, and those involved with them. The book is a valuable addition to both the medical and personal library."
- Arnold L. Licht, M.D., chairman of the department of psychiatry at Long Island College Hospital (certified, American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry)
"This book should be of great interest to the medical world and a help in dealing with patients. It has been needed for a long time."
- Judith S. Seixas, author of Children of Alcoholism: A Survivor's Manual
"An invaluable and comprehensive medical guide for the recovering alcoholic or addict who wishes to preserve sobriety, and a major addition to the addiction field."
- Eliot Fremont-Smith, former senior book critic, The New York Times