David Givens, Ph.D.; Foreword by Joe Navarro
St. Martin's Griffin
HOW DO YOU MAKE IT IN BUSINESS?
STOP LISTENING AND START WATCHING
Your Body at Work is a guide to seeing past the words that fill the hallways, conference rooms, and e-mails of your workplace, and to deciphering the hidden meanings that lie behind them. Through real-life examples from the world of business, and with background from the science of communication, you’ll learn to sight-read colleagues and use your own body language to your best advantage. You’ll find out:
• How a co-worker’s hands, much more than her words, tell you how she felt about your presentation
• Why gestures at a meeting are more memorable than words
• When a shrug of the shoulders can mean the difference between “job well done” and “job could be better”
• How to train a nosy boss to back off—without uttering a single word
• What your shoes and your hair may be saying about your commitment to the job
• Why you’ll find more smiley-face stickers in cubicles than in corner offices
David Givens has been a consultant to some of the biggest companies in the United States. With his expertise, he’ll help you look past the words so you can really read your workplace.
“This book sets a new standard....[Givens] is a giant who lives among us.” —from the foreword by Joe Navarro, FBI special agent (ret.) and author of Louder Than Words
“Your Body at Work is a fascinating book and a must read for anyone looking to improve their communication skills in the business world.” —Tonya Reiman, FOX News Contributor and author of The Power of Body Language and The YES Factor