Welcome to the world of yoga.
Yoga Journal's Yoga Basics offers the first truly comprehensive introduction to the practice of this popular ancient healing art. Produced by a teacher of yoga for over 25 years and the editors of Yoga Journal, it offers all the inspiration and instruction you'll need to develop your own at-home yoga practice. Beginning with an exploration of the roots of yoga, the book goes on to describe a variety of hatha yoga styles-- Iyengar, Ashtanga, Kundalini, and others-- so you can choose the method that's appropriate for you. Featuring easy-to-follow instructions and 140 black-and-white photographs to illustrate the postures, Yoga Basics provides a thorough understanding not only of the mechanics of technique but of all the important elements that make yoga so much more than a fitness regime. In this unique book you'll find:
* Tips on the use of the breath in yoga practice and breath awareness exercises
* Guidelines for regular practice, including health and safety considerations
* Dozens of illustrated postures-- standing, seated, supine, and prone-- with their benefits described
* Sample Yoga routines that can be done in as little as 15 minutes per day
* Instruction on the practice and power of meditation