Praise for Can't Stop Won't Stop: A History of the Hip-Hop Generation:
"Flow without the ego, intellectualism without Ivory Tower disdain, and, finally, history with heart and passion and fire: Jeff Chang's Can't Stop Won't Stop manages to go from wide-lens overview to pinpoint accuracy in covering the biggest cultural-political movement of our time. A true accomplishment."
- Farai Chideya, author of Trust and The Color of Our Future
"Jeff Chang is a master alchemist, spinning narrative gold from a weave of sociology, history, political theory, and old fashioned boom-bap. . .Can't Stop Won't Stop is one of the best books yet written on the shifting, tumultuous history of hip-hop culture and the generation of adherents it spat onto the American and global landscape. It is a tour-de-force."
- Selwyn Seyfu Hinds, author of Gunshots In My Cook-Up: Bits of Hip-Hop Caribbean Life
"An exuberant and revelatory history of the inner-city cultural revolution that still rocks the world. Jeff Chang is hip-hop's John Reed."
- Mike Davis, author of City of Quartz and Planet of Slums
"One of our most insightful commentators on urban music takes a panoramic survey of hip-hop's entirety. . .Authoritative, incisive, and entertaining, Can't Stop Won't Stop is a massive achievement."
- Simon Reynolds, author of Rip It Up And Start Again: Postpunk 1978-84 and Generation Ecstasy
"Don't be misled; this is not just another rap book. . .inflammatory, illuminating, and anything but myopic, the scope of Chang's work is awe-inspiring."
- DJ Shadow, hip-hop artist, Endtroducing and The Private Press
"This book belongs on your shelf next to Criminal Minded, Illmatic and All Eyez On Me."
- William Jelani Cobb, Ph.D, author of To The Break of Dawn: A Freestyle on the Hip Hop Aesthetic
"Orale pues-Can't Stop Won't Stop draws from the fire, verve, rage, injustices, pains, victories, and creativity of a whole generation of marginalized, forgotten, pissed-on and pissed-off youth."
- Luis J. Rodriguez, author of Always Running: La Vida Loca, Gang Days in LA and Hearts and Hands: Creating Community in Violent Times
"Jeff Chang backspins the uninterrogated truisms that plague so much hip hop scholarship. . .Can't Stop Won't Stop is a fluid, incisive analysis built from the ground up, with plenty of funky breakdowns."
- Adam Mansbach, author of Angry White Boy and Shackling Water
"Has any scholar ever loved hip hop so well-and taken it as seriously-as Jeff Chang does in Can't Stop Won't Stop?"
- Bill Adler, author of Tougher Than Leather
"From the intellectual roots of Black cultural and political movements to the emergence of hip-hop activism, Can't Stop Won't Stop is the most comprehensive book out on hip-hop."
- Henry Chalfant, co-producer Style Wars, co-author of Subway Art and Spraycan Art
"Can't Stop Won't Stop brings us so much closer to fully understanding the complexities that inspired the Hip-Hop Generation."
- Mark Anthony Neal, author of Songs in the Key of Black Life: A Rhythm and Blues Nation
"Jeff Chang has created a new rhythm in hip-hop writing. A must-read and an instant classic."
- B+ (Brian Cross), photographer, producer/director of Keepintime, and author of It's Not About A Salary