Introducing the new standard in American history.
The most authoritative single-volume encyclopedia of American history in twenty-five years, this groundbreaking reference has been a major undertaking prepared under the guidance of an advisory board of six prominent historians from around the country and of General Editor John Mack Faragher of Yale University. More than 125 contributors, all experts in their fields, present the best in recent scholarship, spanning the pre-Columbian period through the 1990s.
The result is substantially different from anything that has come before.
* Nearly 3,000 alphabetically arranged entries and essays
* Complete and authoritative treatment of traditional subjects
* Full coverage of topics at the forefront of American history scholarship today--women, African Americans, Native Americans, family life, urban history, and popular culture
* 400 black-and-white illustrations throughout
* Appendixes and time charts of American history
* Comprehensive cross-references and index for ease of reference, as well as innovative "topic guides" to facilitate deeper exploration and study
* Sponsored by American Heritage magazine, the nation's premier history publication