Basher Science: Extreme Biology
From Superbugs to Clones … Get to the Edge of Science
Author: Created & illustrated by Simon Basher
In Basher Science: Extreme Biology, artistic designer Simon Basher and writer Dan Green join neurophysiologist Dr. Mark Lythgoe to put modern biology under a microscope in this fun and fact-filled illustrated book for middle grade readers.
Learn about the amazing research that is revolutionizing biology, from advances in medicine to genetic engineering. Meet the world’s toughest bacterium and a biologically immortal flatworm whilst learning about epigenetics, superbugs, nanomedicine and cloning. Extreme Biology is a compelling guide to developments at the very forefront of science—a must-read for anyone wishing to understand, and engage with, modern biology.
From Superbugs to Clones…Get to the Edge of Science with such topics as:
• Hardcore Herd: Water bear, Conan the Bacterium, Planarian flatworm, Superbug (antibiotic-resistant microbes), Aliens
• Gene Genies: Gene (including DNA, RNA, Nucleotides), Gene expression, Protein, Prion, Genome, Epigenetics
• BioHacker Crew: Gene splicing, Recombinant DNA, Recombinant protein, Polymerase chain reaction, Genetically modified organism, Cloning, Gene machine, Shmeat (including tissue culture), Designer baby, Synthetic life, Biosafety (including bioethics)
• Bioscience Buddies/Drug Dudes: Nanomedicine, Monoclonal antibodies, Broad spectrum antiviral, Pharming (the use of genetic engineering to grow drugs), Biosensors
• Medical Mavericks: Face transplant, Regenerative medicine, Gene therapy (including DNA vaccine), Functional MRI
In The News
“This engaging and informationl book presents new advancements in biology, while giving readers a description of each type of advancement with interesting facts. . . . With readable, playful language which presents the science in a vivid appealing way, readers will be able to have fun and have their interest piqued about these topics.” —Library Media Connection
“Irresistibly interesting. . . . The appeal of the illustrations and format is undeniable, and the personification of complex concepts and unique artwork will ensure that these lessons will stick with readers for quite a while.” —Booklist