BUY THE BOOK
Henry Holt and Co. BYR Paperbacks
Holt Books for Young Readers
On Sale: 05/12/2020
ISBN: 9781250314123368 Pages, Ages 8-12
In this moving and hilarious illustrated novel from the critically-acclaimed author of Pie in the Sky, a twelve-year-old boy goes on a (forbidden) solo journey halfway around the world to prove his independence to his overprotective family.
Henry Khoo's family treats him like a baby. He’s not allowed to go anywhere without his sister/chaperone/bodyguard. His (former) best friend knows to expect his family’s mafia-style interrogation when Henry’s actually allowed to hang out at her house. And he definitely CAN’T take a journey halfway around the world all by himself!
But that’s exactly his plan. After his family’s annual trip to visit his father in Singapore is cancelled, Henry decides he doesn’t want to be cooped up at home with his overprotective family and BFF turned NRFF (Not Really Friend Forever). Plus, he’s hiding a your-life-is-over-if-you’re-caught secret: he’s the creator of an anonymous gossip cartoon, and he's on the verge of getting caught. Determined to prove his independence and avoid punishment for his crimes, Henry embarks on the greatest adventure everrr. . . hoping it won’t turn into the greatest disaster ever.
Remy Lai takes readers on an adventure filled with humor, heart, and hijinks that’s a sure bet for fans of Jerry Craft, Terri Libenson, and Shannon Hale!
Praise for Fly on the Wall
Praise for Pie in the Sky
"Pie in the Sky is like enjoying a decadent cake. . . heartwarming and rib-tickling." —Terri Libenson, bestselling author of Invisible Emmie
* “Perfect for fans of Gene Luen Yang and Victoria Jamieson.” —Shelf Awareness, STARRED review
* "Like salted caramel, a perfect balance of flavors, this deftly drawn story is a heartfelt treat." —Kirkus Reviews, STARRED review
"Remy Lai seamlessly mixes together equal parts of humor, loss, identity, discovery, and love to create a delicious concoction of a story. . . illustrated beautifully." —Veera Hiranandani, Newbery Honor-winning author of The Night Diary
* "The humor [is] akin to that of Jeff Kinney’s popular “Wimpy Kid” series . . . the perfect mixture of funny and emotionally resonant." —School Library Journal, STARRED review
* "Lai imbues this [story] with an undeniable sweetness." —Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, STARRED review
* "A delectable page-turner. . . Heartbreakingly honest; in equal parts funny and poignant." —Horn Book, STARRED review