1. If you won the lottery, what would you do with your newfound wealth?
I would travel to every exotic place imaginable, including a climb up Kilimanjaro, a visit to Petra and Persepolis, and definitely the South Pole.
2. What book, movie, TV show, or album has changed your life and how?
I loved Deadwood. I am a fan of the Old West, and it gave me a new understanding of that time. It prompted research into foods of the period, a newfound passion for the chuck wagon, and I even learned how to shoot a pistol.
3. Who's your present celebrity crush? Name a past (and hopefully embarassing) celebrity crush.
I am a rock and roller at heart. I play the drums and I really love Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age. I have a celebrity dinner party all planned out, in which I will invite Josh, Dave Grohl (from Nirvana and The Foo Fighters), Jimmy Page, Jack White, Anthony Bourdain (because he likes rock and I know we are kindred spirits), Ian McShane, and Timothy Olyphant (so they can have a Deadwood reunion). The menu is written, and the table is set in my head. I am just waiting for my fairy godmother to make it happen.
4. Besides being an author, what is your fantasy job?
I'd really like to be an art history professor. I am fascinated by the intersection of art and culture throughout history, especially at the turn of the twentieth century. I am considering an MA in Art History.
5. What music, food, drink, toys, etc... do you keep by your side when you're writing?
I listen to Indian and Persian music. It puts me in an exotic mood (and makes me hungry for exotic food). I don't know any of it well, and I don't speak the languages, so I'm not distracted by the lyrics.
6. Who has been the greatest influence in your life? How?
My husband. He has helped me become a better person. His support and encouragement has allowed me to experience so much more of life than I would have ever dreamed of on my own.
7. What are some nicknames you've had in the past? How did you come by them?
I am "Cookie" because I cook. "Mombot 2000" because I say the same things over and over again, like "Clean your room." "Chef B" because apparently Bilderback is a hard name for some. And "Sacagawea" because I have a great sense of direction and can find anything.