Marianne J. Legato
Palgrave Macmillan Trade
It is a universal fact that men die before women. But the causes of this have long remained unexplored. In this trailblazing book, Dr. Marianne Legato--an expert in gender specific health--examines the reasons behind men's fragility and explains what they need to do to live longer.
A bestselling author and Professor of Medicine at Columbia University, Dr. Legato shows how the forces of culture and biology conspire against male mortality. Drawing on the latest research and narrated through the lives of her patients, she delves into problems that both men and women care about-- from why the male fetus is at greater risk, to why boys have a hard time adjusting to school, to how elevated levels of the stress hormone cortisol make men more prone to aggression and why they are more likely to die from cardiac arrest or cancer and even depression.
Why Men Die First offers specific advice on what men can do to live better, including
* how on-one time with young boys reduces anixiety and attention deficit problems
* lifestyle changes that can prevent cardiovascular disease and osteoporosis
* why young men take on high risk endeavors and how to decrease the stress
* how to cope with mid life depression and feelings of emasculation and uselessness
* how testosterone shots can mitigate the unpleasant symptoms of aging
Dr. Legato brings the possibility of both mental and physical wellbeing to men in this compelling and inspiring book. A superstar physician, celebrated annually in New York Magazine's Best Doctors Issue, Dr. Legato is well poised to take on this urgent topic with her unimpeachable authority and natural warmth.