Macmillan Publishers is a leading publishing company and home to some of the world’s most cherished authors and creators.
Our imprints publish a wide range of genres and formats for every kind of reader — from adult fiction and nonfiction to many inspired children’s books. Our list features bestselling, award-winning literary talent, including the Nobel Prize, the Man Booker Prize, the Pulitzer Prize, the National Book Award, the Newbery Medal, and the Caldecott Medal.
As a part of Holtzbrinck Publishing Group, a large family-owned media company headquartered in Stuttgart, Germany, we are firmly committed to our employees, authors, and core values — that are not just learned, they are lived. We strive to build a culture that is inclusive of diverse voices and perspectives throughout all levels of the company, where everyone feels supported and empowered.
We are across eight divisions in the US: Celadon Books, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, Flatiron Books, Henry Holt, Macmillan Audio, Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group, The St. Martin’s Publishing Group, and Tor Publishing Group, helping storytellers realize opportunities and connect with the broadest audiences. We deeply believe in the power of books to connect people, amplify diverse voices, create meaningful change, and make a lasting impact in the world.
As do some of the novels that fill the books on the shelves of Macmillan’s various publishers, The Macmillan Story itself begins with a story of two brothers: Daniel and Alexander Macmillan.
The Macmillan Story was written and compiled by Macmillan employees from all backgrounds to commemorate the publishing company’s 175th anniversary. This dedication was evident to some authors extremely early on. The book retraces the humble beginnings of the Macmillan brothers, the troubles and expansion of the company through the decades and throughout the world, and even includes personal anecdotes from the vibrant people who make Macmillan what it is today.
Click here to read The Macmillan Story.
At Macmillan, values are not just learned, they’re lived. These values serve as inspiration for all those at Macmillan as we seek to publish some of the best books of our time. We will work collectively to enhance our culture while reaching — and then surpassing — our business and profitability goals in a manner consistent with these values.
- Inclusivity: We strive to cultivate a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment where everyone—from someone in a junior-level position to the CEO—feels a sense of belonging, is empowered to bring one’s whole self to the workplace, and share their thoughts and ideas, while remaining accountable to the impact of their words and actions.
- Respect: We treat others with professionalism and respect, assuming positive intent as we exchange in honest dialogue across our organization.
- Trust: We foster a culture of honesty and trust as we show consistency between our words and our actions.
- Sustainability: We aim to do less harm and more good to the Earth by actively pursuing sustainable practices to reduce and reverse the impact our business has on the environment.
- Impact: We publish a wide variety of books that educate, entertain and challenge the reader. We believe in the power of books to connect people, foster innovation, amplify diverse voices, and contribute to the global conversation.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
At Macmillan, we asked ourselves how we could approach Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging in an honest and meaningful way. Were we willing to do the work needed to change our organization and, ultimately our industry for the better? Were we ready to make a genuine commitment to creating a more inclusive organization? The answer was resounding and straightforward: yes.
Learn more about our approach to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging.