Making Adult Stepfamilies Work
Strategies for the Whole Family When a Parent Marries Later in Life
Author: Grace Gabe, M.D. and Jean Lipman-Blumen, Ph.D.
If you are among the growing number of families in which adults with grown children have remarried later in life, you are probably familiar with the conflicts and complicated emotional dynamics that can result. Parents expect that remarrying will be easier because the children are grown up. But the reality is that these remarriages can cause painful struggles between parents and their adult children. Based on in-depth research by a psychiatrist and a sociologist, Step Wars trains a revealing lens on the sources of these conflicts and teaches the skills required to manage them. Topics include:
* Your Children and Mine: Can They Ever Become Ours?
* What Will Happen to the "Family Home"?
* Who Should Inherit My Property? Managing Financial Conflict Between Generations
* Health and Illness: Thank Heaven the Caretaker Is on Duty
* The Grandchildren: Pawns or Bridges?
Written for both the couple getting married as well as their adult children, Step Wars is a road map for happily surviving remarriage later in life.
St. Martin's Griffin